Up until a couple of months ago, I’d never tried a “wedge” salad. Granted, it’s only iceberg lettuce and toppings, but iceberg has never thrilled me, so I’ve never ordered or made one. Then, came lunch at the Dogfish Head Brew Pub and all that changed. With heirloom grape tomatoes, Applewood smoked bacon, and goat cheese ranch dressing, I quietly inhaled my lunch.
While I’m still not overly impressed with iceberg lettuce, the simplicity of a wedge of lettuce and the endless possibilities for toppings excites me. I came to realize that the wedge of lettuce is merely the vehicle for the other fun salad fixins.
Pickled Green Tomatoes
1 medium green tomato-sliced
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp pickling spice
1 clove garlic-minced
1 TBSP sugar
3 TBSP salt
1 head of iceberg lettuce–cored and cut into 6 wedges
1 lb. medium shrimp-cleaned & shelled and dried on a paper towel
1 medium tomato-diced
4 green onions-chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper
6 strips crisp bacon
1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
Green Tomato Pickles
In a sauce pan, bring apple cider vinegar, water, pickling spice, garlic, sugar, and salt to a boil. Remove from heat. Add green tomato slices, cover, and allow to sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove tomatoes, cut each slice into fourths and add to salad.
In a jar with a lid, combine nut butter, key lime juice, olive oil, and garlic powder. Shake until dressing is completely emulsified. Taste and add salt & pepper to taste.
In a small non-stick skillet, sprinkle a thin layer of Parmesan cheese (approximately 1/4 cup). Cook over medium heat until cheese bubbles and edges are lightly brown. Gently flip crisp to brown on the opposite side. When lightly brown, remove from skillet and allow to dry & cool on a paper towel. When ready to use, cut crisps into wedges.
Place shrimp on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cook under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned and opaque (done).
Place two wedges per plate. On each wedge plating, place a portion of shrimp, green tomato pickles, diced red tomato, green onions, bacon, and bell pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with Parmesan crisp wedges.
Check out these other Healthy Green Recipes from our friends at Sunday Supper!
- Get Your Greens Smoothie by Hardly A Goddess
- Green Breakfast Omelet Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Green Eggs and Ham by Feeding Big
- Green Scrambled Eggs with Ham by Cricket’s Confections
- Kuku Sabzi – Persian Herb Frittata by Caroline’s Cooking
- Matcha Overnight Oats by Brunch-n-Bites
- Southwest Breakfast Spinach Wrap by The Freshman Cook
- Super Green Smoothie by Simple and Savory
- Creamy Pistachio Frozen Yogurt by My Sweet Zepol
- Matcha Mint Coconut Candy by My Life Cookbook
- Sautéed Garlic and Parmesan Chicken With Spinach by My Sweet Savings
- Super Lime Bars by What Smells So Good?
- Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Must Make Main Dishes
- Grilled Lettuce and Steak Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pan Roasted Cod on Spinach Basil Risotto with Lemon Butter Sauce by Positively Stacey
- Poached Cod with Pesto Wine Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Leek Skillet Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Skinny Reuben Wraps with Homemade 1000 Island Dressing by For the Love of Food
- Tequila Chicken Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad by Pies and Plots
- Green Goddess Bibb Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes by Shockingly Delicious
- Sesame Wedge Salad with Key Lime Vinaigrette & Pickled Green Tomatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Shades of Green Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Zucchini Carpaccio Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Colcannon by Wholistic Woman
- Green Goddess Dip by From the Bookshelf
- Grilled Cabbage with Spicy Lime Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Irish Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Miso Roasted Broccoli by Life Currents
- Pistachio Parmesan Oven Fries by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Quinoa Tabbouleh by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Books n’ Cooks
- Soy Glazed Sugar Snap Peas by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Tots by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw by Jersey Girl Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.