Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is almost here! Originally, the holiday celebrated Mexico’s victory over France in the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. However, today it is celebrated across the United States as a fiesta of good food, family, and friends., and there are few things that scream “Cinco de Mayo Celebration” the way a margarita does!
Since many of us will partake in our fair share of spicy Mexican fare, fabulous Mexican beer, and the ever-so-popular margarita, I decided that we needed a dessert with as much pizzazz and oomph as I could create. I give you, The Margarita Cupcake, and it’s NOT for the kiddies!!
No, this cupcake is not for the faint of heart or the under 21 crowd. This cupcake packs a tart lime flavor with a sharp punch of tequila buttercream…all topped off with a salt crusted wedge of lime.
2 sticks butter-softened
2 c. sugar
3 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP lime juice
1 TBSP tequila
3/4 c. milk
2 sticks butter-softened
2 c. shortening
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1/8-1/4 c. tequila (depending on your taste)
2-4 TBSP lime juice (depending on your desired buttercream thickness)
2 limes-cut in small wedges
In a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add flour to egg mixture alternately with milk until completely incorporated. Stir in tequila and lime juice. Turn mixer to high and beat for 2 minutes. Scoop into lined cupcake pans. For standard cupcakes, the recipe will yield approximately 30. For mini cupcakes, the recipe will yield approximately 90.
In a mixer, cream butter, shortening, and salt. Add half of powdered sugar and mix on low until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar alternately with tequila and lime juice and mix just until everything is incorporated. Scrape down sides, turn mixer on high, and allow the buttercream to whip for 5-7 minutes. Pipe onto cupcakes.
Just before serving, dip lime wedges into salt and place on top of cupcakes.
***Remember, the tequila in the buttercream has NOT cooked out, so this isn’t for the kids!!
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Authentic Easy Guacamole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Coconut Margarita by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mexican Sunset by Girl Abroad
- Spicy Micheladas by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Deluxe Beef and Bean Tostadas with Pickled Onions by The Weekend Gourmet
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Traditional Salsa Verde by Basic N Delicious
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Food Lust People Love
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Leave a Reply