May is here, and that means the summer heat is upon us! This is the perfect time for refreshing dinner salads. From fresh, crisp veggies and cool, refreshing fruit to exotic grains and unusual proteins, summer salads have a lot of potential.
Around our house in the summer, you’re guaranteed to find a salad night on the menu. However, you won’t find basic salads of iceberg lettuce and a few tiny tomatoes. No, salads around our house are always over-the-top and no ingredient is off limits. For instance, this week’s salad incorporates Ahi tuna, one of our favorite summer proteins, every veggie I could find in the refrigerator, and a salad dressing made from my Granny’s key limes.
4 Ahi Tuna Steaks
salt & pepper
Mixed Greens–any assortment of lettuces & greens
Green Beans-blanched & cut in half
1/4 c. key lime juice
1 TBSP dijon mustard
1 TBSP honey
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 c. olive oil
Drizzle a non stick skillet with olive oil and heat. Salt & Pepper both sides of tuna steaks. Place tuna steaks in the hot skillet and sear for 1 minute per side. The hot olive oil will help to form a crust. Remove from heat and allow to rest.
While tuna is resting layer all salad ingredients, except the egg and cheese in a large bowl. In a large jar, combine vinaigrette ingredients. Shake vigorously to combine. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Top the salad with chopped egg, shredded cheese, and sliced tuna steaks.
Serve the remaining dressing on the side, in case anyone needs a little extra.
Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes
Brilliant Beef Salads
- Fajita Lettuce Wraps by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Greek Steak Cobb with Greek Goddess Dressing by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Steak and Sweet Potato Salad by Our Good Life
- Healthy Steak Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Beef Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Southwest Steak Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Choice Chicken Salads
- BBQ Chicken Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Caribbean Chicken Quinoa Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Chicken Fried Picnic Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Rainbow Greek Chicken Salad by Jersey Girl Cooks
Great Grain Salads
- Berry Avocado and Herbed Quinoa Salad with Poppyseed Dressing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Farmers Market Quinoa Salad by And She Cooks
- Italian Rice Salad by Manu’s Menu
- Muffuletta Pasta Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Superb Seafood Salads
- Beer Steamed Shrimp Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crab Salad with Chili, Tomato and Avocado by Monica’s Table
- French Lentil Salad Nicoise-Style with Seared Tuna by Caroline’s Cooking
- Iron Chef Morimoto Inspired Salad by NinjaBaker.com
- Red Camargue and Wild Rice Salad with Tuna by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Cod and Edamame Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Key Lime-Dijon Vinaigrette by Gourmet Everyday
- Shrimp & Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Vibrant Veggie Salads
- Chopped Greek Salad by Soulfully Made
- Chrissy’s Cobb Salad by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Kale Guacamole Salad by Pies and Plots
- Kale Superfoods Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Loaded Chopped Salad by Simple and Savory
- Mulled Wine Pears and Goats Cheese Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.