What started as a joke has taken a life of its own. As popular as “Taco Tuesday” has become, last week, I proposed the birth of “Tater Tot Tuesday,” and to my surprise, the idea was a huge hit on Instagram and Twitter. Last night, I tested the idea on my kids and husband, and just as I suspected, they loved it.
To help them grieve the loss of their beloved “Taco Tuesday,” I presented my kids with Taco Tots–everything they love on tacos, but on top of tater tots. On each of their plates, I layered baked (not fried) tater tots, hamburger meat, refried beans, cheese, and their choice of taco fixins’ (cotija, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, etc). My youngest was bummed because he could no longer eat with his hands, but quickly gobbled up his tots, when he realized just how tasty they were!
My original plan was to have an Ultimate Tater Tot Cook Off; however, my boys couldn’t wrap their heads around anything on their tater tots beyond ketchup or cheese. Now that they’ve had Taco Tots, I think they understand and next week, we will proceed with the original cook off plan.
Last night, as we ate, I asked the boys again what they would put on their Ultimate Tater Tots, and their answers were as diverse and creative as I’d originally hoped. Ean (13 yrs) wants mounds of pulled pork, cheese, and BBQ, while Eli (8 yrs) wants a cheeseburger built on top of his–ground beef, cheese, ketchup, pickles, mustard, etc. My husband, Jeremy (40 yrs), proposed a much more over-the-top tot–pork belly, shredded chicken, bbq, and a fried egg.
How would I top my tots? Well, that’s a secret…for now. Let’s just say, that my tots are less sports bar and more bistro, and while my tots pairing is slightly unconventional, remember, the possibilities are endless.
Ultimate Tater Tot Toppings
After asking my crew what they would put on their ultimate tots, I posed the same question to some of my students, and their toppings are quite interesting.
- Ground Beef, Nacho Cheese, Bacon Crumbles, Avocado, Shredded Lettuce, Chopped Green Onion, Diced Tomato, Shredded Cheese
- Guacamole, Re-fried Beans, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Pickled Jalapenos, Pico de Gallo
- Soft Tortilla (under the tots), Ground Beef Mixed with Corn, Bacon Crumbles, Cheddar Cheese, Cotija, Sour Cream, Shredded Lettuce, Yellow Rice
- Bacon, Cheese, Scrambled Eggs (all wrapped in a tortilla)
- Popcorn Chicken, Bacon Crumbles, Jalapeno (raw), Queso Fresco
- Nacho Cheese, Pickled Jalapeno, Sour Cream
- Melted Butter, Shredded Cheese, Bacon Crumbles, Sour Cream
- Sausage Gravy, Fried Egg, on top of a biscuit
- Macaroni & Cheese Sauce
- Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Gravy, Cheese…like poutine
- Chili, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Green Onion
- Thinly Sliced Roast Beef, Peppers & Onions, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Thinly Sliced Turkey, Bacon Crumbles, Cranberry Sauce
- Grilled Chicken, Ranch Dressing, Bacon Crumbles, Shredded Cheese
Ultimately, the list of tater tot toppings is endless. If you can dream it, you can top it! Post pics of your own Ultimate Tater Tots and let’s keep the Tater Tot Tuesday movement going!