With 2 kids, who, at times, will complain about everything put in front of them, I need to use ingredients that they are guaranteed to like, while sneaking in healthy stuff like spinach, squash, peppers, celery. While I don’t advocate lying to your children, bending the truth and playing dumb are perfectly acceptable.
If my 13 yr old thinks for one minute that a dish MIGHT have squash or zucchini, he’ll refuse to eat or he’ll spend an hour sifting through to remove any trace of the rogue vegetables. My solution, cut them up so minutely tiny that he never knows they are there. Does it work? ABSOLUTELY! You have no idea how many times I’ve slipped zucchini, carrots, and the dreaded spinach into spaghetti sauce. It’s hard to chop fresh spinach, so I just tell him it’s an herb. He believes it with no further questioning. Oh, and shoot the kids some creative name for a dish and they’ll eat it every time. My mother always got my brother to eat baked beans by adding hot dogs cut lengthwise baked on top and calling them “dinosaur bones.” He fell for it every time, and probably still makes them…at 40 years old!
For this recipe, I also went one step further and designed it to be ready in under an hour, which is perfect for a school night, when homework and extra-curricular activities keep us super busy.
Sunday Supper Kid Friendly Vegetable Recipes
- Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Kid Sized Smoothies by The Freshman Cook
- Sweet Potato Crust Quiche by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Veggie Cream Cheese by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Broccoli Shells and Cheese by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Healthy Tacos by Simple and Savory
- Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce for Orange Orzo by Caroline’s Cooking
- Veggie Ramen by NinjaBaker.com
- Broccoli Tots by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Cauliflower by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Kale Fried Cauliflower Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- Kid-Friendly Baked Potato Fries by Hardly A Goddess
- Salad on a Stick by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Zuppa di Ravioli by Gourmet Everyday
- Crispy Vegetable Chips by Home Sweet Homestead
- Dairy Free Veggie Ice Pops by Our Good Life
- Healthy Homemade Taquitos by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies by A Mind Full Mom
- Veggie Egg Rolls by My Savory Spoon
- Zucchini Mozzarella Sticks by The Crumby Cupcake
For even more kid friendly vegetables check out these Vegetable Recipes for Picky Eaters by The Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.