In Florida, everyone will tell you that “it’s not the heat; it’s the humidity,” and that may very well be true. However, regardless of heat or humidity, summer is prime time for cocktails…cool, crisp, refreshing cocktails!
I’ve often said that I eat and drink my way around the world, and through my travels, I’ve come to appreciate, love, and adapt many of those recipes and drinks for my friends and family. One particular drink that I’ve come to love is the Caipirinha, the national cocktail of Brazil. With Cachaça (a liquor made from distilling sugar cane), lime, and sugar. Unfortunately, for me, Cachaça isn’t easy to always find, so I use rum, which is also made from sugar cane.
Since it’s summer and since Caipirinhas can be quite strong, my version is light and crisp and perfect for sipping by the pool.
12 oz 3 Daughters Key Lime Cider
2 limes-cut in half and sliced (reserve 4 pieces for garnish)
2 TBSP superfine sugar
4 oz. rum (I use limon rum)
1/4 c. sugar-for rimming glasses
In a small pitcher or large measuring cup, combine lime juice, sugar, and lime pieces. Using the handle end of a wooden spoon, muddle the limes, juice, and sugar until combined, sugar dissolves, and lime pieces are mashed. Add rum and stir to combine. Pour in cider and gently stir to combine.
Rub the rim of each rock glass with a lime wedge, dip in sugar, and allow sugar to dry. Fill glasses with ice, pour in cocktail, and serve!
Classics with a Twist
- Blackberry Gin Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Boozy Rootbeer Float by My Life Cookbook
- Classic Long Island Iced Tea by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Frozen Banana Daiquiri by Restless Chipotle
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pimm’s Cup by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Spiked Arnold Palmer Cocktails by Hardly A Goddess
- St. Germain Gin and Tonic Cocktail by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Make Mine a Mocktail
- Florida Cider Caipirinha by Gourmet Everyday
- Raspberry Lemon Blush by Our Good Life
- Screwmosa Cocktail by Food Lust People Love
- Skip and Go Naked by Positively Stacey
- Spiked Spa Water by Simple and Savory
Tasty and Tropical
- Blackberry Mojitos by The Chef Next Door
- Fresh Cherry Margaritas by The Crumby Cupcake
- Frozen Peach Margaritas by Pies and Plots
- Perfect Pina Colada by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Pineapple Margaritas by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prickly Pear Margarita by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Sunset Lemon Drop by Soulfully Made
- Boozy Watermelon Slushies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cantaloupe Wine Slushie by Family Around the Table
- Cava Sangria by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Red Wine Sangria with Spiced Peaches by Cricket’s Confections
- Pink Lemonade Sangria by Baking Sense
- Raspberry Lemonade Sparkler by My Blissful Mess
- Sparkling Chambord Sangria by Books n’ Cooks
- Watermelon Sangria by A Mind Full Mom
For even more inspiration check out these Simple Mixed Drinks for a Refreshing Summer by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.