With school just beginning, getting back into our daily routines has been rough. Waking up at 5am to be at school by 6:45am, classes all day, practices and homework after that, and still needing to make dinner. Likewise, there are evening when even I get tired of cooking. I cook breakfast and dinner at least 5 days of the week, and sometimes, I need a simple dinner so that I can kick off my shoes and watch TV. So, I look for meals that can be cooked quick…WITHOUT resorting to boxed meals and convenience food.
When I combined the 2 needs…warm/comfort and quick…I remembered my Granny’s Sausage Casserole. I don’t know where she found it. I don’t know how long she’s made it. The one thing I do know is that it’s amazing, versatile, and makes everyone happy.
Granny’s Sausage & Rice Casserole
2 c. water
1 tsp salt
1 c rice ( I prefer to use par-boiled or Basmati)
1 lb. ground breakfast sausage (not Italian or Maple)
1 medium onion, chopped (app. 1 c.)
3 stalks celery, chopped (app. 1 c.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom or cream of celery)
1-2 cups topping (Granny used chopped pecans. I prefer French fried onions)
Bring salted water to a boil. Add rice, cover, and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and cool.
In a large skillet, brown sausage. Drain any grease, if necessary. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Saute over medium heat until tender. Add soup and stir to combine. Heat through. Add rice and stir to combine. If your skillet is oven-proof, leave the casserole in the skillet. Otherwise, transfer to an oven-proof casserole. Top with pecans or French fried onions. Bake at 375 degrees until topping is lightly browned and crisp, approximately 15 minutes.
Simple Rice Recipes for Dinner #SundaySupper
What’s for dinner?
- Butternut and Brown Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crispy Rice Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Easy Pork Fried Rice – Gluten Free by Cricket’s Confections
- Easy Red Beans and Rice by Home Sweet Homestead
- Granny’s Sausage & Rice Casserole by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Nasi Lemak – Malay Coconut Milk Rice by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Rice is for dinner!
- Olive & Date Rice Side Dish by My Life Cookbook
- Qatiqli Hu’rda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Savory Rice Porridge by Pies and Plots
- Slow Boat to China by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Rice and Peas Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore over Rice by My Blissful Mess
- Sushi Roll Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Tex Mex Chicken Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Paella Recipe with Beef and Shrimp by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.