Did you know that October 4th is National Taco Day? Tacos are the best…Just ask my 9 year old. Tacos are the one meal that he will eat without complaint, without speaking, without dawdling, without breathing until he’s done.
Eli loves tacos with beef. He loves tacos with pork. He loves tacos with chicken. He loves tacos with fish. He loves tacos with turkey. There isn’t much I could put on a taco that he wouldn’t eat, and it’s his love and devotion to the All Mighty Taco that makes feeding him so easy.
As popular as “Taco Tuesday” has become around our house, I proposed Taco Tots and to my surprise, he loved it. I really thought that his devotion to Tacos would resist tacos in another form, but I was wrong. He treated his tater tots like tortilla chips and piled on his toppings.
To help them grieve the loss of their beloved “Taco Tuesday,” I gave him everything that he loves on tacos, but on top of tater tots. On his plate, I layered baked (not fried) tater tots, hamburger meat, refried beans, cheese, and their choice of taco fixins’ (cotija, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, etc). He was bummed that I wouldn’t let him eat with his hands, but he loved them so much that he soon forgot about the fork in his hand.
1 bag frozen tater tots
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 c. beef broth or water
Bake tater tots according to package directions until golden brown and crispy. Do not undercook tater tots.
In a large skillet, brown meat. Drain fat. Add seasonings and broth. Simmer over medium high heat until liquid reduces and meat mixture is completely combined with seasonings.
Suggested Toppings for Taco Tot Bar
Cotija (crumbled Mexican cheese)
Diced Spring Onion
Easy Taco Recipes #SundaySupper
Breakfast, Dessert, and Alternative Tacos
- Apple Pie Tacos by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Chorizo Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie by Soulfully Made
- Loaded Taco Tots by Gourmet Everyday
- Naked Egg Breakfast Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- One Pot Taco Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Spicy Beef Cheesy Corn Taco Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Veggie Packed Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Breakfast Tostadas by Bites of Wellness
Lunch and Dinner Tacos
- 1970s Style Tacos by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asian-Spiced Black Cod Tacos with Kimchi and Avocado-Sriracha Mayo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by A Mind Full Mom
- Cinnamon Beef Tacos by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos by Mid-Life Croissant
- It’s Taco Tuesday: An Easy Family Meal by Hardly A Goddess
- Low Carb Beef Tacos by Our Good Life
- Salmon Tacos with Watermelon Pico de Gallo by Pies and Plots
- Sloppy Joe Tacos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos with Cabbage Slaw by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Tacos by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Surf and Turf Tacos by The Weekend Gourmet
- Walking Chili Cheese Tacos by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Easy Fish Taco Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.