**My 2nd place win in the Simple & Delicious Cookie Tray Favorites contest appearing in the December/January 2018 edition of Simple & Delicious magazine. Photo courtesy of Taste of Home.
Nearly everyone I know hosts a cookie exchange of some sort during the holiday season. Instead of the same old chocolate chip cookies, decorated sugar cookies, and even our beloved Santa Claus cookies, why not take something a bit different? Why not share cookies that are a bit more creative or interesting or even exotic? Let’s make a pact this holiday season to really push ourselves to make the best cookies possible!
For this year’s cookie exchange, I’m tapping into my Florida roots (again) and adding my husband’s favorite–shortbreads– to create a thumbprint cookie that is downright addictive.
Coconut-Key Lime Thumbprint Cookies
These little gems are lightly coconut flavored, surrounded by toasty coconut, filled with tart key lime curd, and then, if that weren’t enough, drizzled in white chocolate. Let’s face it. The holidays are not the time for diets, so let’s just agree to enjoy ourselves!
Coconut shortbread thumbprint cookies filled with key lime curd and drizzled in white chocolate.
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 2/3 c. key lime juice
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 c. butter-softened
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp water
- 2 1/2 c. sweetened flake coconut
- 4 oz. white chocolate-chopped
- 1 TBSP shortening
- For the filling, in a saucepan, combine cornstarch and key lime juice and stir until smooth. Whisk in sugar and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture boils. Remove to a bowl and cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- For the cookies, cream butter, powdered sugar, and salt. Beat in extracts and flour. In a small bowl, combine egg whites and water. Pour coconut flakes into another bowl. Shape dough into small balls (approximately 1 1/4") using a cookie scoop or tablespoon. Dip dough ball in egg white water and roll in coconut flakes. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Indent the center of each dough ball using your thumb. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, approximately 12-14 minutes. After removing from oven, immediately reshape the indention. Cool completely.
- To serve, fill with cooled key lime curd. In the microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening. Drizzle over cookie tops. Store cookies in the refrigerator.
Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Sunday Supper’s Best Cookie Exchange Recipes
Traditional and Tasty Cookies to Share
- Candied Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Cherry Chocolate Pistachio Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chewy Pumpkin Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Coconut-Key Lime Thumbprint Cookies by Gourmet Everyday
- Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by Our Good Life
- German Ginger Cookies (Ingwerplätchen) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Hot Cocoa Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Rainbow Cookies by April Golightly
- Orange Cardamom Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement
- Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Persimmon Cookies with Figs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pumpkin Molasses Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Toffee Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Fun and Festive Cookie Alternatives
- Best Ever No Bake Eggnog Truffles by Bites of Wellness
- Cappuccino Crinkles by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Chocolate Coated Krispy Peanut Butter Balls by Positively Stacey
- Cranberry Date Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Healthy Magic Cookie Bars by Simple and Savory
- Peppermint Pizzelle by Eat, Drink & Be Tracy
- Rainbow Biscotti Cubes by What Smells So Good?
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.