It’s the holiday season, and as much as we like to celebrate and party, none of us like spending ALL of our time in the kitchen. So, how do we host a dinner party or holiday get together without all the work? Simple…make as much as possible ahead of time!
I understand that some dishes just can’t be made ahead of time. However, if a recipe can be made ahead, why not save yourself some time on the day of the party?
This year’s holiday party dessert that has both wowed and thrilled my friends has been my Fireball Cupcakes. Yes, Fireball…as in cinnamon whisky. Yes, they are a HUGE hit!
2 sticks butter-softened
2 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. Fireball Whisky
In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until lemony yellow. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. On low, mix in vanilla extract and sour cream. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour to batter alternately with milk and whisky.
Scoop into lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
2 sticks butter-softened
2 c. shortening
1 tsp salt
2 lbs. powdered sugar-sifted
4-6 TBSP Fireball Whisky
In a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat butter, shortening, and salt until smooth, scraping down the sides frequently. Add half of powdered sugar, and slowly mix in. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix on low. As needed, add whisky to loosen buttercream. Once everything is incorporated, turn mixer onto high and allow it to whip for 5 minutes. Frost cupcakes as desired. Drizzle with Fireball Glaze and top with a Hot Tamale (candy).
1 c. Fireball Whisky
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
3-4 drops red food coloring
In a saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add whisky and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and glaze thickens. Stir in food coloring. Allow to cool before drizzling onto cupcakes.
**Since the buttercream uses straight whisky, the alcohol has not cooked out, so these little gems are NOT for the kiddos!
Make Ahead Dinner Party Recipes
Ahead of Schedule Starters
- Beefy Au Gratin Potato Skins by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Strawberry Brie Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Easy Chicken Liver Pâté by Palatable Pastime
- Pomegranate and Orange Champagne Punch by Our Good Life
- Rainbow Hummus by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip by Soulfully Made
Earlier the Better Entrees
- Cauliflower Mash Potatoes by April Golightly
- Easy Grain-Free Whole30 Cauliflower Dirty Rice by Bites of Wellness
- Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Avocado by Cooking Chat
Prepared Ahead Postre
- Banoffee Pie by Caroline’s Cooking
- Candy Bar Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Orange Bread Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Fireball Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Gluten Free Almond Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Pear Upside-Down Spice Cake by Positively Stacey
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.