Whenever my friends or students hear me say that I couldn’t care less about sports on TV, I get the appalled look of shock…dismay…SHAME! Yes, I’m that person, who doesn’t cheer on teams, who doesn’t get my news from SportsCenter, who doesn’t know the AFC from the NFC from my ACL and the CDC. No, I’m not sports minded, nor do I have a favorite team. I could care less. However, I love a good party and if it takes having a football game projected onto a big screen to have some good ole finger foods, then, I’m in!
This year’s Super Bowl will be no different. I will “watch” the game. I will laugh at commercials. I will Tweet wisecracking jokes about overly dramatic athletes, poorly dressed commentators, and lip syncing-wardrobe malfunctioning half time performers. And most importantly, I will make dinner a finger food, snacking feast.
Super Bowl 2018 Snacking Feast
So what will be on this year’s Super Bowl party food, snacking buffet? The usual…Chips, dip, salsa, jalapeno poppers, nacho cheese, maybe some chili, and definitely Stout Braised Meatballs and Bacon Jam. Sure, the meatballs on their own would make a phenomenal snack and bacon jam on a cracker by itself is food fit the gods, but put it all together and the result is the stuff they write songs about!
Baked pork meatballs braised in a stout glazed and then topped with sweet, tart, spicy bacon jam.
- Stout Braised Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground pork
- ¼ c. chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic-minced
- 1 egg-beaten
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Stout Glaze
- 1 TBSP butter
- ¼ c. chopped onion
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 bottle Guinness
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3 TBSP worchestershire
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. beef broth
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- ¼ c. water
- Bacon Jam
- 3 lb. sliced bacon-cut into large chunks before cooking
- 5 large white onions-julienned or cut into small pieces
- 4 tsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 c. water
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- For the meatballs:
- In a large bowl, combined all ingredients. Using a cookie scoop, form into 30 meatballs. Place meatballs on a foiled lined cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool before removing from pan.
- For the stout glaze:
- In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium heat, until onion begins to soften. Add remaining ingredients, except cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch into water. Slowly drizzle into simmering stout, while whisking constantly. Sauce will thicken.
- Add meatballs to stout glaze, and simmer over medium-low heat for 2 hours, stirring gently occasionally to prevent burning and sticking OR put them in a crock pot on low for 2-3 hours.
- For the bacon jam:
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain fat , reserving bacon fat. After bacon cools, chop it. While bacon cools, combine onion, butter, 2 tsp. bacon fat, and salt. Saute over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until soft. Add brown sugar, vinegar, peppers, and water. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until dark brown. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Serve warm.
**Bacon Jam can be saved in the refrigerator for 2-3 days…if it lasts that long.
Easy Football Food Ideas for Game Day
Super Savory Recipes
- Air Fryer Hot Wings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Bacon Ranch Skillet Nachos by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Baked Jalapeño Poppers by My World Simplified
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Beer Battered Mushroom Bites by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Bourbon Beef and Bean Chili by Cooking on the Ranch
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken Potachos by Simple and Savory
- Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Cheeseburger Skillet Dip by Authentically Candace
- Football-Shaped Meat and Cheese Plate by Shockingly Delicious
- French Onion Dip by What Smells So Good?
- Garlic Spinach Dip by Wholistic Woman
- Healthy Homemade Taquitos by Cricket’s Confections
- Hot Mexican Dip Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Oven Fried Fish Sliders by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Piglets in Milk Bun Blankets by Wild Wild Whisk
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dippers by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Pork Ribs with Bourbon BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spinach and Artichoke Hummus with Homemade Pita Chips by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Stout Braised Pork Meatballs with Bacon Jam by Gourmet Everyday
- Super Easy Spicy Green Onion Dip by Cooking Chat
- Super Simple Salmon Bites by Bites of Wellness
Sweet Super Recipes
- Mexican Buñuelos (Cinnamon and Sugar Fritters) by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Peanut Butter and Caramel Stuffed Oatmeal Cookies by Pies and Plots
- S’mores Dessert Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Touchdown Turtle Brownies by Soulfully Made
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Leave a Reply