As a working mom, being pulled in a million different directions, I need an arsenal of kid-tested quick dinners that don’t come from a box, drive thru, or delivery driver. I need meals that are homemade, taste great, and are done in 30 minutes or less.
For this quick dinner, I combined a classic southern smoked sausage with Spanish beans (garbanzo beans), rice, tomatoes, and spices to create a Spanish Beans & Rice Bowl.
A little Southern, a little Spanish, a WHOLE lot of flavor!
- 1 lb. smoked sausage (I prefer Uncle John's Pride Smoked Sausage from Tampa)
- 2 c. cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cans garbanzo beans
- 1 c. water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pkt Goya Sazon seasoning with saffron
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes & chilies
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add garbanzo beans, water, bay leaves, Sazon seasoning, red pepper, and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a non-stick or seasoned cast iron skillet, fry split sausage links until slightly charred and crisp. **This can also be done on a grill pan.**
- To serve,
- Spoon 1/2 c. rice in the center of the bowl. Spoon beans & juice around (not on top), and place split sausage link over the rice. Garnish with chopped onion and parsley