((NEW RECIPE)) I remember, as a kid, seriously disliking certain foods…eggplant, egg rolls, beets, carrots, chicken salad. As an adult, I can’t wrap my brain around refusing an egg roll or turning up my nose at chicken salad. I don’t know when my taste buds changed, but I’m certainly glad they did.
These days, I’m a sucker for a great chicken salad, and I’ve even been known to make a big bowl and eat it everyday for breakfast (don’t judge!). Over the years, I’ve learned to add a variety of mix-ins to my basic chicken salad to suit my many moods and occasions. Some of my favorite mix-ins include the standard pecans, almonds, dried fruits, and grapes, but when challenged with using Cape Cod Select Frozen Cranberries, I took my basic chicken salad to a whole new level.
For my Cranberry Chicken Salad Purses, I added thawed Cape Cod Select cranberries to my chicken salad with pecans, stuffed it inside a puff pastry square, and let the oven do the rest. The result was a warm chicken salad bursting with tart cranberries peaking out of puff pastry purses, and to be honest I ate more than I should probably ever admit!
- Chicken Salad
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts-poached in water or chicken broth
- 1/4 c. Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c. Cape Cod Select Frozen Cranberries-thawed and cut in half
- 2 sheets of puff pastry-thawed
- Egg wash made from 1 egg beaten with 1 TBSP water
- Roughly chop poached chicken.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, pecans, salt, and garlic powder. Then, gently fold in cranberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets to a perfect square. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut each pastry sheet into 9 squares.
- Using a pastry brush, brush edges with egg wash.
- Using a cookie scoop, place a scoop of chicken salad in the middle of each square.
- To make purses, bring opposite corners together to a point and pinch sides to seal.
- Place purse on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush exposed pastry with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Purses will burst open to show hot chicken salad. This is exactly what you want!!
Cape Cod Select Cranberries
After participating in Cape Cod’s Blogger Challenge last year, I fell in love with their products and their story. Cape Cod Select is a small women-owned family business. The Rhodes family has been growing cranberries on their 800 acre farm for more than 75 years. Their cranberries are grown to some of the industry’s highest standards and are Non-GMO verified and hold GLOBAL G.A.P Certification. Likewise, Cape Cod Select has a focus on sustainability powering its facilities primarily with solar power and using better growing practices on their farm.
Experience Cape Cod Select Cranberries