When asked to create a recipe that was both sugar-free and Keto friendly, I was at a complete loss. As much as I know that Keto is a hot, still relatively new, diet trend, I also know virtually nothing about it, so I had to do a bit of research.
First of all, a keto or ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, which can help you burn fat more effectively (dietdoctor.com). Within the low-carb aspect, the keto diet focuses more on fats and proteins than carbs, so if I decided to write a dessert recipe, then it would need to be the opposite of the norm–flour, sugar, butter. No, this recipe would need to be butter, protein, and then, a small amount of “sugar”.
As I discovered, it wasn’t as difficult as I imagined. Butter is easy. I already love Irish butter. The flour was even easy–replace wheat flour with almond flour. However, the sugar was a bit of a challenge. I needed a sugar substitute that I could turn into powdered sugar and I needed a fruit that would not kill the keto diet.
The end result…a almond flour shortbread sandwich cookie that was filled with a creamy blend of cream cheese, butter, Steviva blend, and a few cranberries for color and flavor.
- 6 TBSP butter-softened
- 6 TBSP Steviva Blend
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 oz cream cheese-softened
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 3 TBSP Steviva Blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 c. frozen cranberries
- For the cookies:
- Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Using your hands, form dough into 1-2" balls. Then, still using hands, press dough between your palms to flatten cookies.
- Place cookies on a parchment or silpat lined pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes.
- Cool completely before filling.
- For the filling:
- In a small bowl, microwave frozen cranberries until they pop open.
- In another bowl, stir together cream cheese, butter, cornstarch, and Steviva.
- Once completely incorporated, stir in hot cranberries. The filling will become quite loose. Chill filling while cookies cool.
- Once filling has set, spread 1 TBSP filling on half of the cookies. Top each with an unfilled cookie to make a sandwich.
- Once plated, sift extra Steviva Blend to top each sandwich cookie.
For the last 20 years, Steviva has been dedicated to combatting metabolic disease and “diabesity” by producing all-natural, safe and healthy sweeteners to replace table sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and artificial sweeteners.
Steviva offers much more than just stevia to safely and healthfully replace artificial sweeteners and table sugar. They have gathered nature’s best sweeteners, such as stevia, monk fruit, erythritol, coconut palm sugar, agave nectar, inulin, crystalline fructose and xylitol, and meticulously formulated delicious, pure sweeteners that taste and function just like sugar—without the calories, carbs or blood sugar spikes.
Knowing how to use sweeteners singly and synergistically to replace or eliminate sugar and calories, whether in bars, beverages, confections or desserts, is instinctive for the folks at Steviva. They’ve done all the hard work and taken the guesswork out of sugar substitution, so you can continue using all your favorite family recipes.