Rather than spending hundreds on a Valentine’s Day dinner, why not cook dinner for your sweetheart?
Let’s be honest, cooking your own dinner is going to be more affordable, more personal, and more romantic than sitting in a crowded restaurant.
This week, leading up to Valentine’s Day, we’re giving you plenty of ideas to make your Valentine’s Day more personalized and special.
A Valentine’s Day dinner of burgers and beer doesn’t exactly scream romance, and a dinner of steak and lobster is cliched, so why not cook something a bit more creative and unexpected?
For our first Valentine’s themed dinner of the week, let’s feature chicken. It’s both affordable and approachable. However, let’s make a chicken dish that is over-the-top…Peppered Chicken over Saffron Polenta.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts-cut into 1-2″ strips
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 c. onion–diced
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper–diced
- ½ c. celery-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic–minced
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c. chicken stock
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 TBSP dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes–less if you can’t handle the heat
- 2c. water or chicken broth
- 2 pkts Goya Sazon seasoning with saffron
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 c. yellow cornmeal–plain…not corn meal mix
- 4-6 TBSP milk
- In a large skillet, brown chicken breasts in olive oil. Add onion, peppers, celery and garlic. Saute over medium heat until onions & peppers are tender. Deglaze the pan with vodka and add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Cook 15 minutes or until flavors taste combined. If the sauce becomes too thick add water.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring chicken broth/water and Sazon seasoning to a boil. Quickly whisk in cornmeal and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking until thick. Add Parmesan cheese and milk (to desired consistency).
- Serve chicken & tomato-pepper sauce over polenta…super yummy!
Leave a Reply