Rather than spending Valentine’s Day in a crowded restaurant or dropping hundreds of dollars for a private dinner, why not cook dinner for your sweetheart?
Let’s be honest, cooking your own dinner is much easier than you would think and it’s much more romantic.
This week, leading up to Valentine’s Day, we’re giving you plenty of ideas to make your Valentine’s Day more personalized and special.
We may not eat desserts after every meal, but on Valentine’s Day, it’s required, and we have several ideas that will have your sweetheart feeling loved and appreciated. Today’s featured Valentine’s Day dessert…Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes.
- 2 stick butter-softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ c. champagne
- ½ c. milk
- 1 c. roughly chopped strawberries—fresh, not in juice
- 2 sticks butter-softened
- 2 c. shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 4-6 TBSP champagne
- Champagne Drizzle
- 1 ½ c. champagne
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 2 strawberries—finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternately with champagne and milk. When all have been incorporated, add strawberries and mix on high for 2 minutes.
- Scoop into cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and frost with champagne buttercream.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening, salt, and extracts. Add meringue powder and half of powdered sugar. Mix on low until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar in ½ c. increments, mixing well after each addition. Add champagne as needed to reach desired consistency. Mix on high for 5-10 minutes or until fluffy.
- Top each cupcake with a strawberry fan & strawberry champagne drizzle
- Champagne Drizzle
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool before drizzling over cupcakes.