A little over a week ago, my husband read an article in our local Creative Loafing that a SPAM Cook-off was being held at the Florida State Fair and that they were looking for one more chef to compete. Well, I’m always up for a new competition, so I emailed the organizer and volunteered.
I’ve never been a fan of SPAM, but I knew that, with a little creativity, I could make something that, even I would eat. Since I’m a World Food Championships Sandwich competitor, I knew that creating a SPAM sandwich would be the smartest choice.
Long story short, I created a Pecan Crusted SPAM Sliders with a Citrus Kale Slaw…and Won!!
- 1 can Original Spam -sliced
- 2 c. finely chopped pecans
- 1 egg-beaten
- 2 c. chopped kale
- 2 oranges-sectioned & seeds removed
- 1 onion-cut in half and julienned
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 6 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Dip SPAM slices in beaten egg and press in chopped pecans. Place pecan crusted SPAM slices onto the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and sizzling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey, and soy sauce. Add kale, orange sections, and onion, and toss to coat completely.
- To assemble:
- Split Hawaiian rolls and place 1 SPAM slice per roll. Top with slaw and serve.
Leave a Reply