When tasked with creating new recipes for World Food Championship’s Taste of America contest, we were given a random and somewhat limited basket of sponsored ingredients from which we were challenged to use products from at least three sponsors.
Given that I’ve been competing in sandwiches for several years now, my brain seems to naturally construct sandwich ideas, I was able to combine Casamigos Tequila, Bolner’s Fiesta Cinnamon Sticks, and Walmart Great Value Crescent Rolls with a few other key ingredients to create one of the best burgers I’ve ever made–my Brown Sugar-Tequila Glazed Sirloin Bacon Burger with Apples & Onions on Crescent Roll Buns.
- 1 c. Casamigos Tequila
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 4 stips of thick cut bacon
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Bolner’s Fiesta garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Bolner’s Fiesta black pepper
- 4 TBSP Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 2 apples-peeled & sliced
- 1 c. sliced onions
- 2 Bolner’s Fiesta cinnamon sticks
- 3 TBSP Casamigos tequila
- 2-8 ct. cans of Great Value crescent roll dough
- Onion & Chive Cream Cheese Spread
- In a saucepan, combine tequila and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes until thicker. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse raw bacon until a paste forms.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, combine sirloin, bacon paste, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Form into 6 equally shaped slider patties. Flip and baste with the tequila glaze. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Flip burgers one more time and baste with tequila glaze. Remove burgers from skillet and baste one last time.
- In a skillet, combine butter, apples, onions, and cinnamon sticks. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and almost soft. Add tequila to the skillet and cook an additional 3-5 minutes to reduce tequila and liquids in the skillet. Remove cinnamon sticks before using.
- Unroll one can of crescent dough and pinch seams to seal. Open, but do not unroll the second can of crescent dough. Place the rolled can at the end of the unrolled sheet of dough and roll up to create a large roll of dough. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough roll into 6 equally sized “buns”.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To assemble sliders, slice crescent buns in half. Spread a approximately 1 TBSP cream cheese spread on the bottom bun. Top with a slider and onions, apples and the top bun. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply