One of my favorite flavor combinations is dark chocolate and coffee. By it’s 1st place win in the Open Category at the 2019 National Pie Championships, I think the judges agreed.
National Pie Championships: Double Chocolate Macchiato Pie
- 15 shortbread cookies (enough to make 2 c. crumbs)
- 4 TBSP butter
- 2-8oz cream cheese-softened
- 2-8oz Cool Whip-thawed
- 4 oz. white chocolate-chopped
- 1 TBSP whipping cream
- 8 oz. dark chocolate-chopped
- 2 TBSP whipping cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- Whipped Cream:
- 2 c. whipping cream
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 dark chocolate bar for garnish
- In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Stir until completely incorporated. Press into a pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat white chocolate and 1 TBSP whipping cream in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.
- In a food processor, pulse 1-8oz. pkg cream cheese and melted white chocolate until smooth. Add in 1 container of cool whip and pulse until smooth.
- Spread over cooled crust and chill until set.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat dark chocolate, 2 TBSP whipping cream, and instant coffee in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.
- In a food processor, pulse 1-8oz. pkg cream cheese and melted dark chocolate until smooth. Add in 1 container of cool whip and pulse until smooth.
- Spread over set white chocolate layer and chill until set.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff. Spoon and spread over chocolate layer.