For a person who doesn’t particularly care for coconut, I seem to bake a lot of coconut themed desserts, and for the past few years, it’s been my coconut recipes that win the most awards. Hmmmm…ironic.
National Pie Championships: Sunsational Islander Coconut Cream Pie
- 17 Coconut Shortbread or Macaroon Cookies-crushed
- 4 TBSP butter-melted
- White Chocolate Layer:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- 1 c. white chocolate-chopped
- ¾ c. Cool Whip
- Coconut Layer:
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 15 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 c. milk
- 1 TBSP coconut extract
- squeeze of lime juice
- 2 TBSP shredded coconut
- Whipped Cream:
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. shredded coconut- toasted for garnish
- In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Stir until completely incorporated. Press into a pie plate. Cover with parchment and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. In a microwave safe bowl, heat heavy cream for 1 minute in the microwave. Add chopped white chocolate and allow to sit for a minute. Stir to completely melt the chocolate. Mix into cream cheese. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread into cooled crust and refrigerate until set.
- In a sauce pan, combine eggs, sweetened condensed milk, milk, coconut extract, and lime juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. If mixture looks grainy, puree in the blender before pouring over white chocolate layer. Spread over white chocolate- cream cheese layer and sprinkle the top with 2 TBSP coconut. Chill overnight or until set.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff. Pipe large rosettes over coconut layer. Garnish with toasted coconut.