After years of entering Sutter Home Winery’s Build a Better Burger Contest, I was finally picked as a regional semifinalist. My burger is far from the traditional all beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun that we’ve all been programmed to expect. No, my burger was actually a sirloin and breakfast sausage patty on a buttermilk biscuit with pepper jelly, bacon, kale-apple-citrus slaw, and a runny fried egg, and it was a hit among the judges and guests.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 c. pepper jelly
- 1/2 c. pepper jelly
- 12 slices pre-cooked bacon
- 4 c. shredded kale
- 1 c. shredded apples
- 1/2 c. mandarin oranges
- 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 12 buttermilk biscuits
- In a large bowl, combine proteins, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and 1/4 c. pepper jelly. Mix well to combine. Form into 12 small patties.
- Place bacon directly on a cooler side of the grill to crisp. Grill bacon 1 minute per side. Remove from the heat and set aside. Cut slices in half to make 24 pieces of bacon.
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey.. Add kale, apples, oranges, salt, and pepper. Toss together and set aside.
- Split biscuits and place them around the outer rim of grill to reheat and lightly toast. Remove from grill and spread pepper jelly onto the inside of the bottom bun.
- Place burgers onto the grill. Grill for 4 minutes and flip. Grill for another 4-6 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Remove from grill to rest.
- In a hot skillet, melt 2-3 TBSP butter. Fry eggs to sunny side up--approximately 2-2 1/2 minutes.
- To assemble, place a burger on the jellied side of the bottom biscuit. Top with 2 pieces of bacon, a 1/4 c. slaw, and a sunny side up egg. Top with biscuit top and serve.