For us lifetime Floridians, there are two seasons–summer and summer–and two temperatures–hot and hotter. Seriously…you have no idea what it’s like to dread August in April because “it can’t get any worse” or roast in August’s oppressive heat after a midday thunderstorm or bake in October’s convection oven-like wind or “melt” in your shorts on Christmas Day. No…non-Floridians have no idea. So…let me help.
As a seasoned summer veteran, the solution is simple–cocktails and water. No, not the water you drink. What I’m talking about is a pool, the lake, the beach, the river…someplace to sit in the water and cool off! Finding such a place in Florida isn’t difficult (we’re surrounded by water and half the state is a swamp!). However, finding the perfect cocktail for such a day can be a challenge.
As a seasoned summer cocktail connoisseur, the perfect cocktail has several components that must not be ignored. The perfect summer cocktail must be cold, fizzy, citrus-y, and not overly sweet. This new summer cocktail meets all the requirements–it’s served over ice, fizzy from the champagne, citrus-y from limoncello, and thanks to Cape Cod Select Cranberries, it’s deliciously sweet & tart.
- 1 c. Cape Cod Select Frozen Cranberries
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 c. limoncello
- 1 bottle dry champagne or sparkling wine
- In a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup, combine cranberries, water, and sugar.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, and microwave an additional 2 minutes until cranberries pop.
- Remove from microwave and cool in the refrigerator.
- Once cool, add cranberry mixture to a pitcher. Pour in limoncello and champagne.
- Stir and serve over ice. Float a few additional frozen cranberries for garnish and added chill.
Cape Cod Select Cranberries
After participating in Cape Cod’s Blogger Challenge last year, I fell in love with their products and their story. Cape Cod Select is a small women-owned family business. The Rhodes family has been growing cranberries on their 800 acre farm for more than 75 years. Their cranberries are grown to some of the industry’s highest standards and are Non-GMO verified and hold GLOBAL G.A.P Certification. Likewise, Cape Cod Select has a focus on sustainability powering its facilities primarily with solar power and using better growing practices on their farm.