When given the opportunity to play with a familiar ingredient or recipe and turn it into something completely different, I get super excited. I’ve always loved taking the traditional, the familiar, and creating something new.
The Twin Dragon Asian Wrapper Blogger Challenge required just that…creative, innovative, and adventurous recipes using their Twin Dragon Wonton, Egg Roll, and Gyoza Wrappers.
For the wonton wrappers, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. When I was a kid, my mom would cut and curl wonton wrappers, fry, and then, dust them in cinnamon & sugar. As simple as that snack was, it was the most addictive snack. The crunch of the fried wontons and the sweet of the cinnamon sugar was reminiscent of the Cinnamon Twists at Taco Bell, but with tons more flavor and crunch. However, I knew that a simple pile of my mom’s fried wonton snacks wasn’t nearly as creative, so we added my sons’ and husband’s favorite flavors to create DESSERT NACHOS!!!
- 20 JSL Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 c. mini chocolate chips
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut wonton wrappers into triangles for "chips" or in strips for "fries".
- Heat vegetable oil in a sauce pan or skillet to 350 degrees.
- Fry wonton wrappers until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Toss fried wontons in sugar mixture.
- Arrange fried-sugared wontons on a large platter.
- Spoon cherry pie filling over and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until firm. Carefully spoon whipped cream over wontons, pie filling, and chocolate chips.