Since we are far from the most experienced vegetarians, I must say that coming up with tasty and creative vegetarian dinners has been quite a challenge. Likewise, many of our meals include a meat substitute, if for no other reason than to appease our teenage son and our years of programing that says dinner is a meat and sides.
On tonight’s menu, I took one of Jeremy’s favorites and “vegetarian-ized” it. While it’s not vegan, I was able to switch out the chicken and cream of chicken soup with meatless options.
1-10 oz bag Gardein Chick'n Strips
2 heads of broçcoli- cut into florets
2 c. water
1 tsp salt
1 can cream of celery soup
1 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c.lemon juice
1 c. shredded cheese
1 c. crushed butter crackers
1) In a large pot, combine broccoli, water, and salt.
2) Bring to a boil over high heat and cover. Allow to steam for 3 minutes.
3) Add chick'n strips and steam an additional 4-5 minutes or until broccoli is a desired tenderness. Drain water and allow to cool slightly.
4) In a bowl, whisk together cream of celery soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice.
5) In a casserole, layer chicken and broccoli.
6) Pour soup mixture over chicken and broccoli. Top with shredded cheese and cracker crumbs.
7) Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Leave a Reply