The BIG GAME is tomorrow night. Are you making snacks or like my husband suggested, picking up sushi take out? Seriously, he suggested picking up sushi take out and watching the game, so that I wouldn’t have to cook for a game that I cared nothing about. I love that man! Well, regardless of my love (or lack of love) of televised sports, we all know that I’ll be watching, even if for nothing more than the commercials, and I’ll be snacking. However, the question still remains…what will we eat? Will it be sushi take out or will I make a snack or two?
“THE Jalapeno Poppers” have become so famous…infamous…popular that there is rarely a family function where they aren’t served. These days, the jalapeno popper making is primarily in the hands of my brother. He seems to have the patience and diligence to clean the jalapenos, so we’ll let him take ownership of the recipe. However, if my hubby bails on the sushi take out or if I feel guilty for not making homemade snacks, you can be guaranteed that jalapeno poppers will be on the menu!
- 1 lb. jalapenos
- 1 lb. ground sausage–not Italian or maple
- 8 oz. cream cheese–softened
- salt & pepper to taste
- To clean & prep jalapenos, leave the stem on and cut each pepper lengthwise. Then, with a spoon or paring knife, remove all seeds and veins/membranes (this is where the heat is).
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown sausage. Remove from heat and drain fat. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and cooked (hot) sausage. The heat from the sausage will help it to incorporate with the cream cheese. When fully incorporated, spoon a generous helping of sausage-cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Place jalapenos on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until filling has browned slightly and peppers have become visibly softened.
- Remove and allow to cool for about 5 minutes…if you can wait that long. The filling will be insanely hot, so ff you can’t wait, try eating with your mouth open and sucking in air at the same time. It should help to limit the poppers scalding your tongue.
Leave a Reply