As a working mom with two jobs, cooking dinner every night can be a real challenge. Thankfully, we all have recipes in our arsenal that will get dinner on the table quickly without having to resort to carry out or the dreaded boxed convenience meals.
For me, getting dinner on the table quickly comes down to having a well stocked pantry and freezer of several staples. In my freezer and pantry, you can always find puff pastry, chicken breasts, a variety of soup mixes, salad dressings, vegetables, and of course, rice and pasta.
One of our favorite 30-minute, quick meals is sweet & sour chicken, made at home with only 7 ingredients, including the rice as a side dish.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 envelope of onion soup mix
- 1 (12 oz) jar orange marmalade
- 1 (16 oz) bottle French/Russian salad dressing
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and flour.
- Dredge chicken in cornstarch-flour mixture.
- Fry chicken in a little vegetable oil until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and discard of oil.
- In the skillet, combine soup mix, marmalade, and salad dressing. Cook over medium heat until onions in soup mix look cooked rather than dehydrated--approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, toss to combine, and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!