As a southerner raised on fried, gravy soaked everything, it wasn’t until college that I discovered sushi and curry and pad thai and udon noodles and seaweed and everything that I now love. However, my experiences with Indian food was limited to curry and that was about it. So, when asked to create recipes using paneer cheese, I was at a complete loss for ideas. I’d heard of it, but never tried it.
Most of the time, when I research ingredients or cuisines, my first stop is the internet, and I read everything. This time, however, I headed to my friend, Jen, whose husband is a chef specializing in vegetarian dishes, and Jen was quick to tell me to think of it as tofu…a blank canvas for anything! So, with that tidbit of knowledge in hand, I headed to the kitchen with a clear idea of what I wanted to make.
Since paneer is a non-melting cheese, with a firm tofu-like consistency, I knew that I wanted to fry it and glaze it in sweet, sour, salty, gooey goodness, and the resulting recipe delivered in one try. In fact, the end result was an appetizer in 30 minutes that I could serve to all of my southern, raised-on-friend food friends.
- 1 package Gopi Paneer-cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 2 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP honey
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- sesame seeds-garnish
- green onion-garnish
- In a bowl, toss paneer chunks with cornstarch to coat.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oils.
- Brown cornstarch coated paneer chunks until brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, honey, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and cornstarch.
- When paneer chunks are browned on all sides, pour sauce mixture over and quickly toss to combine and coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion and serve!
For more information and recipe ideas, visit Karoun Dairies at https://www.karouncheese.com
On Facebook at https://facebook.com/karouncheese
On Instagram at https://instagram.com/karoundairies
On Twitter at https://twitter.com/KarounDairies
Leave a Reply